Thread: LODD Michigan Firefighter Killed In Iraq

LODD Michigan Firefighter Killed In Iraq

Michigan Firefighter Killed In Iraq
    Funeral Information In Bold Below

Updated: 06-26-2006 05:27:24 PM

BISI ONILE-ERE
    Courtesy of WJRTY

SWARTZ CREEK - (06/20/06)-- A Mid-Michigan family is mourning the loss of a United States Marine killed in Iraq.

Lance Cpl. Brandon Webb, 20, of Swartz Creek, was killed early Tuesday morning. The vehicle he was riding in was struck by a roadside bomb just outside of Fallujah.

Tuesday night a mother was trying to come to grips with losing her youngest son.

"I wasn't expecting this. I don't think any parent does," said mother Ann Marie Christofferson.

Christofferson spoke to her son five days ago. It was the last time she would ever speak to him again alive.

"I always had the philosophy that as long as I didn't see the Marine Corps pull up in my driveway or get a call from Red Cross, I knew he was OK," she said.

The day she dreaded since her son became a Marine two years ago is here.

"(Tuesday) I sent him a huge package, and I came home to see the Marine Corps sitting in their truck, waiting for me," she said.

Webb and his unit were on road patrol in Fallujah when their vehicle was struck by an Improvised Explosive Device. The 20 year old died several hours after the blast.

Two others from his unit were also killed.

"That was my baby," Christofferson said. "He's always wanted to be a Marine -- ever since he was a kid for one, but then he wanted to fight for the country and make the country a better place."

Webb was to return home Aug. 2. His bedroom is just as he left it. He had plans to work alongside his mother as a firefighter at the Swartz Creek Fire Department like he had in the past.

"He was probably the best kid you would want to be around. He never met anybody that didn't think he was awesome," Christofferson said.

Now instead of preparing for his homecoming, this mother of two is mourning the loss of one son.

"You just hope that they come home safe," Christofferson said. "I think God wanted him more than he wanted him here."

Funeral arrangements have not yet been set. The Pentagon says it plans to send more troops into Iraq. Another 21,000 U.S. troops will apparently be deployed by the end of the year.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Swartz Creek Area Fire Department's memorial website laments the following:
    http://www.scafd.com/memorial.html

"Although you were with us only a short time, you touched us in a way that will not be forgotten.

"Thank you Brandon for being a part of the SCAFD and serving your country so honorably."

The following funeral information is posted on the Swartz Creek Area Fire Department's website:

Swartz Funeral Home, G1225 W. Hill Rd., Flint, MI 810-235-2345 Visitation will be Wednesday, June 28, 1700 to 2000 Thursday, June 29, 1400 to 1600 and 1800 to 2000 Friday, June 30, 1400 to 1600. Funeral services will start at 1600.

All emergency personnel and apparatus will muster at the Home Depot parking lot across the street from Swartz Funeral Home by 1500. At 1530, a procession will start that will circle the funeral home. A group of apparatus may be parked on the north side of Hill Rd. to block anticipated protestors. This aspect and the number of apparatus needed will be determined by the number of apparatus that show up for the funeral. Following the procession, uniform personnel will line up outside the funeral home entrance. A filing past the casket will commence just before the funeral, after which uniform personnel will be seated in a designated area. Communication will be held on the 800 MHZ radio system. The specific talk group will be announced by Genesee Central Dispatch just prior to the June 30, 1500 muster.

Courtesy of Swartz Creek Area Fire Department

In Memory of Brandon

Lance Cpl. Brandon Webb, 20, of Swartz Creek MI

"Semper Fi" Brother

Firefighter/Marine Lance Cpl. Brandon Webb
    April 12, 1986 - June 20, 2006
    Brandon was born on April 12, 1986 in Mesa, AZ. He served his country in the United States Marine Corps. Brandon was a member of the Swartz Creek Area Fire Department, VFW Post #3720 and Amvets. He enjoyed baseball, golf and hockey. Surviving are mother, Ann Christofferson of Swartz Creek; brother, Austin Christofferson of Phoenix, AZ; father, Kevin Webb of Chandler, AZ; many aunts, uncles, cousins and a host of special friends.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Funeral arrangement information:
    Swartz Funeral Home, G1225 W. Hill Rd., Flint, MI 810-235-2345
    Visitation will be Wednesday, June 28, 1700 to 2000
    Thursday, June 29, 1400 to 1600 and 1800 to 2000
    Friday, June 30, 1400 to 1600.
    Funeral services will start at 1600.
    All emergency personnel and apparatus will muster at the Home Depot parking lot across the street from Swartz Funeral Home by 1500. At 1530, a procession will start that will circle the funeral home. A group of apparatus may be parked on the north side of Hill Rd. to block anticipated protestors. This aspect and the number of apparatus needed will be determined by the number of apparatus that show up for the funeral.
    Following the procession, uniform personnel will line up outside the funeral home entrance. A filing past the casket will commence just before the funeral, after which uniform personnel will be seated in a designated area. Communication will be held on the 800 MHZ radio system. The specific talk group will be announced by Genesee Central Dispatch just prior to the June 30, 1500 muster.

http://www.scafd.com/memorial.html