WTC Memorial Service on the Move


Updated: 07-20-2007 09:13:04 AM

Associated Press WorldStream
via NewsEdge Corporation


NEW YORK_First responders to the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attack will read victims' names at the sixth anniversary ceremony, which is moving this year to a small park because of intensive construction at the World Trade Center site, officials said.

In a letter mailed to family members last week, Governor Eliot Spitzer and Mayor Michael Bloomberg said the ceremony will take place at Zuccotti Park, southeast of ground zero, because of the expanding rebuilding work at the trade center site.

Thousands have gathered in past ceremonies on the western edge of the site to read the names of New York City's victims in the attack.

Construction on tunnels leading from the proposed transit hub has begun in that area. A renewed search for the remains of victims, which began last year on the western service road, has also expanded.

The police, firefighters and emergency technicians who responded to the attack will read the names of the New York City victims this year, the letter said. Siblings, parents and children of the victims have read the names in past ceremonies.

"These men and women helped guide New York City and the nation through one of our darkest hours, and we are honored that they will join our ceremony as we remember and honor those we lost," the letter said.

As in past years, mourners will go silent and bells will toll four times during the ceremony, to mark the times that each of two hijacked jets crashed into each twin tower, and the times that each tower collapsed.

Two blue beams of light will shine into the night sky at sundown on Sept. 11.

<<Associated Press WorldStream -- 07/20/07>>

http://cms.firehouse.com/content/art...5&sectionId=46
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------