Pennsylvania Firefighter Dies of Injures
A wall collapsed on firefighters during the blaze

Updated: 09-28-2007 03:09:30 PM

Couresty of KYW-TV

SHARON HILL, Pa.-- A volunteer firefighter has died from injuries he sustained during a two-alarm garage fire in Delaware County late Wednesday night, officials said Friday. Four other firefighters were also injured in the blaze.

Officials said flames broke out in a garage on the 900 block of Coates Street in Sharon Hill just after 11 p.m.

Crews believed they had the fire under control when a wall of the building suddenly collapsed.

"Routine fire, we had the bulk of the fire knocked down. We actually estimate they were about eight feet outside of the building and all of the sudden the front facade just fell," said Sharon Hill Fire Chief William Beneke.

Three young volunteer firefighters, 19-year-old Michael Regan, 21-year-old Chris Miller, and 23-year-old Joseph Tesauro were trapped under the falling debris. All three were rushed to Mercy Hospital, and then transferred to Crozer Medical Center with burns.

Officials said Regan, a volunteer firefighter who was working part time while attending school, was hospitalized in critical condition. He died from his injuries Friday afternoon.

Miller and Tesauro were treated for minor injuries and are expected to be released from the hospital shortly.

A fourth firefighter was treated for a leg injury and a fifth was treated for chest pains he suffered during the commotion.

"Everybody was upset. They used the term, everybody was like a deer in headlights," Beneke said.

Garage owner Walter Timms was devastated by the incident. He said he was fixing his motorcycle inside the garage when bug repellent candles were ignited by a loose gas line.

"Went out and got the water hose to try to put the fire out, couldn't put it out," Timms said.

Timms said he is planning to visit the injured firefighters in the hospital.

The cause of the fire is believed to be accidental.

Republished with permission of KYW-TV.