Florida Firefighter Honored for Saving Nurse's Life

Updated: 10-26-2007 08:35:28 AM

Story by wesh.com

ORMOND BEACH, Fla. --

An Ormond Beach firefighter was dubbed a hero when he pulled a nurse to safety after she was trapped in her car in a retention pond.

The retirement home where the nurse worked honored the hero on Thursday.

Ormond In The Pines administrator George Roberts described a night several weeks ago when a nurse left work, drove in the rain, missed a curve in the road and nearly lost her life.

"Well, they shined a light on her, and she's in that back window and she's running out of time," Roberts said.

"You could not tell where the road stopped and the lake began, and the next thing you know she was in the lake," Roberts said.

Colleague Shawn Brockington was the only other person around, driving behind her friend at nearly midnight.

"I saw her. She was going into the lake and I was like, 'Where is she going?' By the time I got to her, she was already in the lake and I said, 'God, you have to send some angels. Somebody has to help me here,'" Brockington said.

That's when Ormond Beach Fire Captain Scott Johnson arrived, honored on Thursday at the retirement home. Scott and his team were on the campus at a different call when Brockington waived them down.

"The whole car was just about under water. Just the back end was sticking out and her friend said that she was still in the car," Johnson said.

With the car sinking fast in 15 feet of water, Johnson had to act fast.

"She was terrified. She was banging on the windows. Screaming to get her out, get her out, so I busted the window out and pulled her out of the car," Johnson said.

There are tall reflective posts near the lake��s edge, but the posts were put in after the car went into the retention pond.

The posts are designed to prevent someone else from making the same mistake.

"They saved her life. It was a miracle," Brockington said.

Johnson gets their thanks, a special plaque and the lake is being renamed Scott's Lake.

To comment on this story, send an e-mail to Claire Metz.

Copyright 2007 by WESH.COM. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
http://cms.firehouse.com/content/art...2&sectionId=46