RIT Team Rescues Two Pa. Firefighters Trapped in Blaze
Five rowhomes in Girardville were destroyed by the fire sparked by Duraflame logs in a wood burner.
Firehouse.com News

Posted: Thu, 02/24/2011 - 12:04pm
Updated: Thu, 02/24/2011 - 12:34pm

Two firefighters had to be rescued after they became trapped while battling a fire in Girardville Wednesday night, according to The Republican Herald.

Five rowhomes on Main Street were destroyed by the quick-moving fire sparked by Duraflame logs in a wood burner in the basement of a home at 112 West Main Street, Girardville Fire Chief Frank Zangari told the newspaper.

"The young lady said she shoved them in and filled it tight," he said. "When I went through the house, my boots stuck to the floor, that's how hot it was."

Crews responded to the home at approximately 6 p.m. for smoke in the basement, but by the time they arrived, the smoke was coming through the roof and soon spread to neighboring homes.

Two firefighters operating in the rowhome the fire originated in became trapped and a RIT team was sent in for them. They were rescued, checked out by EMS and continued battling the fire.

No injuries to firefighters or civilians were reported.

No damage estimates were available and an investigation is underway.

http://www.firehouse.com/news/top-he...-trapped-blaze