Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LODD Firefighter dies at Worcester blaze

Davies' family: 'We support the actions taken by the Worcester fire department'

Dec 13, 2011 4:06pm

Fallen Worcester firefighter's family speaks out

Davies' family wants all to have keen awareness of firefighters' daily sacrifice

(NECN) – The family of fallen firefighter Jon Davies spoke out for the first time on Tuesday.

Davies died last Thursday in a fire at a triple decker in Worcester, Massachusetts.

Davies’ younger brother Rob, son Jon Jr. and mother Ruth all spoke about their loss.

“The Davies family would like to convey our sincere gratitude for the outpouring of support, donations and sympathy extended to us by the community, sate of Massachusetts and city of Worcester and especially the firefighters of Worcester and their associated volunteer community,” said Rob. “It is important for us to convey the fact that we support all of the collective decisions made and actions taken by the Worcester fire department on the morning of December 8, 2011. We have no doubt in our minds they made the best decisions possible with the information they had available to them on that fateful morning.”

Rob also asked that the family’s privacy is respected during this emotional and difficult time to allow them to grieve for Jon, as well as to complete memorial service preparations worthy of a hero’s sendoff of which Jon is so deserving.

“It’s a great honor for all these people to come and celebrate the life my dad lived. I don’t want this to be about death. I want it to be more about the life he lived,” said son Jon Jr. “It’s a great honor for all these people to be traveling here. He was a good man. There’s not enough words to describe who he was. My dad wouldn’t want us moping around crying about it. So we’re rejoicing on the times we had with him.”

“He was a wonderful, wonderful person. His sons were the greatest joy that was brought into his life. He did everything for those boys,” said Jon’s mother Ruth. He had just become an uncle and he was so happy that he had a little boy. He was just wonderful. He would do anything for anyone. He’d cut off his right arm for you. That’s the kind of person he was. And he was the only first to get into the building if there was a fire. ‘Hey don’t stop me Chief, I’m going.’ And that’s what he did.”

Ruth said she will remember her son as a kind, loving son, wonderful person, and that he’s now a little angel up in Heaven.

http://www.necn.com/12/13/11/Davies-...46&feedID=4206

Firefighter Davies' family rejoices in his life

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Firefighter Davies' family rejoices in his life

By Scott J. Croteau TELEGRAM & GAZETTE STAFF
    scroteau@telegram.com

WORCESTER — Firefighter Jon D. Davies Sr. didn't hesitate when he began his search inside a burning Arlington Street three-decker last week. His family is sure he was acting just as he always did.

“Obviously, without hesitation he went into that building, so the courage that he displayed without hesitation, thinking that there may be someone potentially in that building, speaks for itself,” his younger brother Rob Davies said yesterday outside the Southeast Fire Station on Grafton Street. “There's no words that I can convey that provide a better answer other than what he had done.”

The Davies family gathered as a group to speak about the strong but sensitive firefighter who died while battling the blaze at 49 Arlington St. on Thursday. The man nicknamed “Jellybear” by his sons, a moniker that reflected his large stature, Firefighter Davies went inside the building with his partner, Firefighter Brian Carroll, to search for someone reported to be trapped inside.

The family believes fire officials at the scene made all the right calls that morning.

“It is important for us to convey the fact that we support all of the collective decisions made and actions taken by the Worcester Fire Department on the morning of Dec. 8, 2011,” Rob Davies said. “We have no doubt in our minds they made the best decisions possible with the information they had available on that fateful morning.”

The cause of the three-alarm fire remains under investigation. The Worcester district attorney's office said this week that no one was found under the rubble. A missing man first reported to be in the building is now being sought by investigators as a potential witness. His name has not been released.

Last night, Deputy Chief Geoffrey Gardell referred questions to the Worcester district attorney's office about whether the fire is being investigated as arson.

Timothy J. Connolly, spokesman for Worcester District Attorney Joseph D. Early Jr., said last night that nothing has changed in how investigators are determining what caused the fire. He said there was “nothing new to report. Nothing has changed as far as notifying the public” about the progress of the investigation, he said.

Called a “bull” of a firefighter by his comrades, an endearing term given to those who work hard on the job, Firefighter Davies was on Rescue 1 at the time of the blaze.

On Dec. 3, 1999, he had been on the engine that first responded to the Worcester Cold Storage and Warehouse Co. building fire and was assigned to the Franklin Street station that now stands on the footprint of the warehouse building where six city firefighters perished.

Rob Davies read a statement from the family, then fielded questions from a throng of reporters. No matter what he wrote or tried to say, Mr. Davies said, he believed it wouldn't do his brother's actions justice.

“I could make a statement of 1,000 words in respect to his actions on that day, but I think his actions speak louder than anything I could say,” he said.

“He'd cut his right arm off for you,” said the late firefighter's mother, Ruth Davies.

Firefighter Davies' three sons, Jon Jr., Adam and Michael, stood in the background. One clutched the hand of their grandmother, Ruth, as the family spoke. Firefighter Davies' new nephew, Rick Jr., quietly slept as traffic passed the station.

“I don't want this to be about death,” son Jon Davies Jr. said. “I want it to be more about the life he lived.”

The sons said they were doing well and coping with the loss. Their dad wouldn't want to see long faces, they said.

“I know my dad wouldn't want us moping around crying about it,” said Jon Jr., a senior airman in the U.S. Air Force who came back from Afghanistan where he is serving. “We rejoice in the time we've had with him.”

Firefighter Davies' life will be celebrated at a funeral Mass at 10 a.m. Thursday at Our Lady of Mount Carmel Church, 24 Mulberry St. Firefighters from many communities are expected to attend — something the Davies family members said they are honored to hear. Rob Davies said the family has been busy during recent days planning a service worthy of a hero's sendoff, something he knows his brother deserves.

People need to realize firefighters across the country risk their lives daily to save others and their property, family members said. Rob Davies said he hasn't met a firefighter who would have acted differently than his brother.

“They literally risk their lives every day for us,” he said.

Steven H. Foskett Jr. of the Telegram & Gazete staff contributed to this report.

Photo
    Rob Davies left brother of Firefighter Jon Davies Sr. and the firefighter's son Jon Davies Jr. speak outside the Southeast Fire Station on Grafton Street in Worcester today. (T&G Staff/TOM RETTIG)

A firefighting partnership

A firefighting partnership
    OUT-OF-TOWN FIRE DEPARTMENTS TO COVER CITY

By Donna Boynton TELEGRAM & GAZETTE STAFF
    dboynton@telegram.com

Fire departments across Central Massachusetts will be sending equipment and personnel to staff Worcester fire stations today as city firefighters attend the funeral of Firefighter Jon D. Davies Sr.

Fire trucks have been washed and waxed; equipment inventoried and checked; uniforms have been pressed and mended.

Today, the Northboro Fire Department, as part of a district task force, will send an engine and four firefighters to the Southbridge Street Fire Station, the same station that Northboro Fire Chief David M. Durgin reported to 12 years ago following the Worcester Cold Storage and Warehouse Co. building fire.

Personnel were scheduled to arrive at the Northboro Fire Station at 6 a.m., to go through the normal equipment checklist before heading to Worcester.

Fallen firefighter mourned

Thursday, December 15, 2011

By Steven H. Foskett Jr. TELEGRAM & GAZETTE STAFF
    sfoskett@telegram.com

WORCESTER

A call to service echoes far and wide

Thursday, December 15, 2011

A call to service echoes far and wide

Davies honored citywide

FUNERAL OF FIREFIGHTER JON D. DAVIES SR.

By Shaun Sutner, Nick Kotsopolous and Scott J. Croteau TELEGRAM & GAZETTE STAFF
    ssutner@telegram.com
    scroteau@telegram.com

WORCESTER — The firefighter who survived the building collapse that killed Firefighter Jon D. Davies Sr. eulogized his fallen comrade at his funeral this morning, while firefighters from this city and well beyond contemplated his sacrifice privately and in other ways.

“He had big broad shoulders that could handle any load life put on him,” Firefighter Brian Carroll said of Firefighter Davies at the packed funeral mass at Our Lady of Mount Carmel-St. Ann Church.

“When I think about Jon, I think about his heart. Jon Davies had a big heart.

“All the clich

In Memory of Jon.

A video link of funeral by Our Lady of Mt. Carmel Church ,Worcester Ma.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=_FDRwHKVe_c

Beer In Memory of Jon

Special Edition
    Beer In Memory of Jon

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12