Thread: Injured Worcester firefighter, chief to be honored

Injured Worcester firefighter, chief to be honored

Sunday, March 4, 2012

Injured Worcester firefighter, chief to be honored

By Bronislaus B. Kush TELEGRAM & GAZETTE STAFF
    bkush@telegram.com

WORCESTER — Fire Chief Gerard A. Dio and Brian Carroll, the Worcester firefighter who was seriously injured in the Dec. 8 three-decker blaze on Arlington Street that killed his friend and fellow Firefighter Jon D. Davies Sr., will be honored Wednesday at the annual remembrance of fire victims sponsored by the Main South Alliance for Public Safety.

“These two men deserve recognition for all they’ve done for the city,” said William T. Breault, chairman of the group.

The program starts at 10 a.m., at the black granite fire memorial erected at Main and Agawam streets.

The remembrance is for people who lost their lives in Worcester fires since 1986.
    It is always held on March 7, the date in 1990 when Ethel Baisden and her three children — 3-year-old Francis, 23-month-old David, and 7-month-old Paul — died in a fire in their apartment at 21 Florence St.

The deaths shocked the Worcester community and resulted in tougher fire codes and a better awareness of the dangers of fire.

Fire investigators theorized that the blaze at 21 Florence St. began when little Paul’s blanket was ignited by a gas space heater.

The public safety alliance etches on the memorial the names of those killed over the course of the previous year.

Two names will be added this year: Lynda L. Richard, a 54-year-old woman who died in a fire Sept. 12 in her home on Lyman Street, and Firefighter Davies, who died when a portion of the three-decker at 49 Arlington St. collapsed.

With the new additions, there are 57 names on the memorial, including the six firefighters who died in the December 1999 fire at the Worcester Cold Storage and Warehouse Co. building. There were no fire-related deaths in 2004 and 2005.

The crime watch group has rarely given out its Public Service Award.

Former District Attorney John J. Conte was given the award for his many years of service, and the group honored Worcester Police Officer Patrick Harrington and Clark University Police Officer Michael Palermo for their work in March 2008 in apprehending a man who accosted a Clark University co-ed.

Mr. Breault said Firefighter Carroll is being recognized for his bravery at the Arlington Street fire, and Chief Dio will be honored for his efforts at reorganizing and improving the Fire Department after the deaths of the six firefighters in 1999.

“Firefighter Carroll is just a great example of the people we have working as firefighters,” Mr. Breault said. “And Chief Dio has to be recognized for all the things he’s done over the years. He’s a quiet guy who never wants to take any credit for the things he’s done.”

http://www.telegram.com/article/2012...120309822/1116

Three months after partner dies in blaze, Firefighter Carroll to return to work

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Three months after partner dies in blaze, Firefighter Carroll to return to work

By Scott J. Croteau TELEGRAM & GAZETTE STAFF
    scroteau@telegram.com

WORCESTER — On Friday, Firefighter Brian Carroll will walk into the Franklin Street Fire Station ready to serve, confident that his fallen partner, Firefighter Jon D. Davies Sr., will still be watching his back.

“He's tattooed on my back so he's got my back the whole time now,” Firefighter Carroll said today at an annual remembrance of fire victims. "He's going to be watching my back the whole time. He's like the angel on my shoulder.”

The 40-year-old veteran firefighter who served on Rescue 1 with Firefighter Davies said his recovery has been a long one, with his partner always in his thoughts.

Holding back tears under his brown-shaded sunglasses, Firefighter Carroll recalled his hourlong ordeal inside the Arlington Street three-decker that collapsed on him during a blaze on Dec. 8.

He could hear radio chatter as he remained trapped in the rubble. Ten minutes after the collapse, he heard his colleagues report that Firefighter Davies had been found. He figured his partner and good friend was safe.

It wasn't until he was pulled from the rubble that he learned that Firefighter Davies had died.

“It is like losing a parent, losing a child,” Firefighter Carroll said. “He was one of my best friends. It's been real hard. I miss him.”

Earlier during the fire, Firefighter Carroll had screamed for help when the floor of the burning building collapsed, tossing him down into the basement. Water covered him. His air tank ran out. Firefighter Carroll thought of his wife and mentally said his goodbyes.

Eventually, he heard his colleagues working toward him. He reached out his hand, and fellow firefighters freed him.

Emotions ran high this morning at the annual remembrance of fire victims sponsored by the Main South Alliance for Public Safety. The community group annually recognizes those who've lost their lives to fire.

During the ceremony on Main Street today, Firefighter Carroll frequently looked at the monument inscribed with the names of those who have died in fires in the city.

After battling illness caused by fighting the fire that killed his partner and undergoing counseling, Firefighter Carroll is ready to rejoin his crew.

“I'm not afraid of the truck. I'm not afraid of the job,” he said. “I want to go back.”

Also honored at the ceremony was Lynda L. Richard, a 54-year-old woman who died in a fire Sept. 12 in her home on Lyman Street.

Her daughter, Faith Richard, thanked everyone for honoring her mother, who had raised Faith in that home.

http://www.telegram.com/article/2012...EJFEI.facebook
    Firefighter Brian Carroll, right, listens as Fire Chief Gerard A. Dio talks at this morning's remembrance ceremony. (T&G Staff/CHRISTINE PETERSON)