Thread: New Fire Truck to NY from Louisiana

Thumbs up������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������� New Fire Truck to NY from Louisiana

Copyright 2001 Capital City Press
    The Advocate (Baton Rouge, LA.)...12/18/2001

NEW ORLEANS - A custom-made fire truck, shiny, new and christened "The Spirit of Louisiana," stopped briefly at the Superdome before the NFL game Monday night, then headed north on its long trip to New York City.

The truck, which will replace one of 35 lost at the World Trade Center three months ago, is a gift from the Gov. Mike Foster's "Buck$ for Fire Truck$" campaign, which raised more than $600,000.

The pumper, built at Ferrara Fire Apparatus Co. in Holden, cost $320,000. Plans are to use the rest of the money to buy other fire-fighting equipment, maybe another truck, for New York.

Foster drove the truck about 50 feet on the floor of the dome, turned on the flashing lights, and said, "I don't think I've been involved with anything in my six years as governor that made me feel better about this state."

He said donations just came pouring in, from school groups, businesses, banks, and private campaigns.

"The best part of this project will be Thursday when this truck is put in service, saving lives and property in New York," said Butch Browning, president of the Louisiana Firefighters.

The trip north will take the truck through Washington for a brief stop at the White House.

Mari
    Last edited by Mari; 12-28-2001 at 03:05 AM.