Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kevin Shea, Ladder 35, in debris 9-11-01 10am

Kevin Shea, Ladder 35, in debris 9-11-01 10am

Image of Firefighter Kevin Shea, Age 34, found in debris at 10 am on 9-11-01.

Assigned to Ladder 35, Upper West Side Manhattan.
    Responded to incident while off-duty.
    Remember being in the South Tower lobby before the collapse.
    During collapse, I was blown towards Albany and West.
    Sustained serious injuries including a broken neck and multiple trauma.
    Crawled 200 feet till surrendered to condition.
    Was found unconscious at intersection of Albany and West.
    Was rescued and evacuated for medical treatment.
    Survived, unlike 11 of my brothers in my firehouse.
    Stay committed to helping them.

Thanks for all your support.

Kevin Shea, director of Fallen Brothers

Saved by an angel

This picture i made for Kevin.

The picture of 1,000 words

Kevin,

I can't say much but what a moving picture. It made me cry. Glad to know you are alive. May God continue to bless you and Brian for all the wonderful work you do. God Bless all the men and women that sacrifice their lives to protect ours.

Mari

Administrator
    While I have been gathering and reading the profiles and bios of your brave brothers who were miracles in life, I had not, until now, read a your story. I crumbled as I saw this photo and, inadequate as these words might be, want to tell you that I so grateful you are here with us. And so sorry you have had to endure this physical pain as well as the emotional.

Looking at the photo, I think about how fragile even the bravest can be. I want to gently hug you and remind you that you will heal.

The angels Mari and Patries offer above were surely there already. Your brother Brian, and your brotherhood needs you here on earth to continue your work. Bless you.
    Last edited by Chris; 01-06-2002 at 02:34 PM.

Kevin,

How did you ever come across that photo? What an awful experience it must have been for you to view yourself like that.

I have no words for you except -- Thank you for protecting us.

Re: Angel Watching over You

I have attached an Angel to your photo. (newly edited)

suzan bruck

my thoughts and prayers are with you!

Kevin, it was so touching to speak with you tonight. May your strength and spirit be with you always. You have been through so much. I admired your willingness to speak to an ordinary person. ( like myself)) I wish you a speedy recovery. I must say you sounded great and upbeat! Keep up that great spririt! Your words in the article were so profound---may God be with you and yours always.Suzan

Unregistered
    Kevin,

After seeing that picture of you I sat at my computer and cried. And as strange as it may seem, that is a good thing. Since the Sept. 11 attack I, a usually emotional person, have had a hard time crying. But I feel it inside of me, building up, with no way out. Your picture gave me a bit of a release. I only thank God that you survived. The men of the FDNY have always been my heros, and the brave men who lost their lives, be it on Sept. 11 or any other day, will always be remembered.

Jo'
    Wife of a NYC Fireman

PHOTO SHOWS WTC MIRACLE Paramedics discover firefighter they aided survived collapse

Some miracles are known only months later.

That's the thought that Steve Zakheim and Al Kim, paramedics who worked frantically around the collapsed World Trade Center on Sept. 11, had when they opened the Daily News last Thursday.

They found a picture of badly injured Firefighter Kevin Shea being treated by them after the south tower collapsed.

More importantly, they learned that Shea, 34, survived the terrorist attack.

"We thought he was dead," said Kim, 37.

Indeed, the firefighter - the only member of upper West Side Engine Co. 40 working the morning of Sept. 11 to get out alive - has almost fully recovered from a broken neck and other trauma he suffered when he was hit by debris from the falling tower.

With thousands of families still praying that their loved ones' remains will be recovered from Ground Zero, the picture of Shea offered up life to the medics.

"To know that this guy is walking around and talking is just a miracle," said Zakheim, 47. Kim and Zakheim, the vice president and chief operating officer of MetroCare Ambulance Group, were in the Marriott World Trade Center hotel trying to help people escape from the lobby in the moments before the tower collapsed - and shortly before they found Shea.

They were with dozens of firefighters and one of their own emergency medical technicians, Yamel Merino, 24.

Fleeing the Marriott

When Kim, Zakheim and Merino heard the noise from the tower coming down, the three EMTs ran outside. They left the hotel believing the noise was a third plane attacking.

When they got outside, Kim and Zakeim ran left. Merino ran right. Merino, the mother of an 8-year-old boy, was killed.

On New Year's Day, the bodies of seven firefighters and three civilians were recovered from the ruins of the hotel lobby.

After the tower came down, Kim and Zakheim came across Firefighter Richie Nogan and then heard screams for help from Shea and News photographer Todd Maisel, who had found the injured firefighter on West St. near the hotel. The four of them and another man moved Shea to a triage center near the north tower.

But, the medics said, that was about 10:20 a.m., and a short time later the north tower collapsed. They assumed the incapacitated Shea - and possibly the other men - couldn't have escaped another falling tower. Besides calling Shea on the telephone yesterday, the paramedics also talked with Maisel.

"I just spoke with Kevin. It was awesome," Kim said. "And Todd. Todd is ecstatic. He was looking for us, he thought we were dead."

It took Maisel, 41, two months to identify Nogan, a firefighter with Brooklyn's Ladder Co. 113, in the picture. Nogan would tell Maisel that Shea survived. It wasn't until yesterday that the firefighters and photographer knew the medics were alive.

"To know that this guy is walking around and talking is just a miracle."

STEVE ZAKHEIM

Kevin recovering

Kevin - very glad that you are still with us. You must have more work to do here on earth. I was as moved as the others to see that picture of you in the debris. Stay strong.

Here is the caption that was under the following picture:

New York firefighter Kevin Shea describes what he remembers of escaping from one of the World Trade Center towers. Shea has lost his memory of how he got out of the building but his neurosurgeon, Dr. Allen Maniker, says Shea told him that he had to crawl on his hands and knees for 200 yards to get out of the rubble. Shea suffered a gash on his head, a blood clot on the brain and a broken vertebrae in his neck.

Dear Kevin

I wonder if you received my e mail. I sent it to the webmaster at fallenbrothers.com

I hope this finds you well and in good spirits.

Do get in touch through e mail or my numbers which I left with the original e mail message.

Best wishes

David

By the way, am I doing this right? I'm an internet novice so am cluelessly hoping this will get to you!

Thumbs up������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������� First recipient of InterCert Internetworking Scholarship

First recipient of InterCert Internetworking Scholarship

InterCert instructor Roger White shows Kevin Shea how to install cables on a patch panel for a classroom network.

Hero and survivor of the WTC Disaster, firefighter Kevin Shea is the first recipient of the InterCert Scholarship. This award is for firemen or police who survived the World Trade Center disaster--and the families of those who perished 9/11. InterCert, a New York based computer internetworking school that focuses on hands-on training, established the award in memory of Michael Lavner, one its founders--and a masterful educator, who died an untimely death in October 2001.

Dan Schlesinger, president of InterCert says,

Unregistered

Kevin,

That picture of you- I am speechless. Thank God you are ok.
    You are blessed, very blessed. Wow, there must have had an army of angels around you.. I am not sure what to say but
    God Bless you-

Cassandra

God's Angels

Hi Kevin,

The picture of you lying there is heart wrenching and the courage that you have shown is so admiring. I honestly believe that horrible day God chose to take your Chaplain first to lead so many of his people through the gates; In the same way he saved you to help those remaining understand, deal and go on.

Enjoy 2002 and the coming years, they're a gift to be cherished.

Lucky 2 Meet Their Rescuers

Lucky 2 Meet Their Rescuers
    Photog spotted injured fireman

By MELISSA GRACE
    Daily News Staff Writer

The last time their paths crossed, Firefighter Kevin Shea was barely conscious, his battered body lying on West St., a block from where the World Trade Center's south tower once stood.

Amid the carpet of gray that enveloped the area, Todd Maisel, a Daily News photographer, somehow spotted Shea.

Maisel ran for help, grabbing four men

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast