Like his brothers and cousins, Thomas G. Schoales grew up knowing that someday he would become a firefighter. "It's a calling," said his brother Edward Jr., a Stony Point police officer. "You see your father and your uncles doing it, and that's what you strive to be."

The large Stony Point family will come together 2:30 p.m. Saturday at Immaculate Conception Church, John Street, Stony Point, for a memorial service and Mass honoring Thomas Schoales, who has been missing since the terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center.

Schoales, who turned 27 in August, will be remembered for his devotion to his family, his wry sense of humor and his love of sports. He played baseball at North Rockland High School, where he graduated in 1992. He later earned an associate's degree in criminal justice at Rockland Community College.

It had been a joyous summer for the Schoales family. In July, Thomas was the best man at his brother Daniel's wedding and was in the wedding party in the August marriage of his brother Michael. And Thomas was doing what he had dreamed of since childhood: working as a New York City firefighter.

After a three-year stint with the 52nd Precinct of the New York Police Department, Schoales made a career change and was assigned to the city fire department's Engine 4 on South Street in lower Manhattan. The company was the first to respond to a report of a plane hitting one of the Twin Towers.

No one in Engine 4 except the drivers made it out alive. Edward Jr. said his brother helped evacuate people from the 30th to 40th floors after the first of two terrorist attacks on the towers. "As far as we know, he made his way out and was in the lobby when it collapsed," he said.

Thomas Schoales wasn't the only member of the family at Ground Zero that day. His father, Edward, a chief in the New York Fire Department's 15th Battalion, was there. So was his brother Daniel, a member of the NYPD who is on a waiting list to serve in the city fire department. Edward Schoales Jr., who spent eight years in the NYPD before transferring to the Stony Point force, went to the site with other Rockland volunteers. "We knew Tommy was there," Edward Jr., said. "We were looking for him."