Thread: Engine 008 / Ladder 002 / Battalion 08

Engine 008 / Ladder 002 / Battalion 008

The following brothers from Engine 8 Ladder 2 and Battalion 8 in Manhattan made the supreme sacrifice on September 11th, 2001.

ENGINE 8

FF. Robert Parro

LADDER 2

CPT. Federick Ill, Jr.
    FF. Denis Germain
    FF. Daniel Harlin
    FF. Dennis Mulligan
    FF. Michael Clarke
    FF. George Dipasquale
    FF. Carl Molinaro

BATTALION 8

BC. Thomas DeAngelis
    FF. Thomas McCann

Engine 8 / Ladder 2 / Battalion 8
    165 E 51st St.
    Midtown Manhattan

Please make a prayer for their families.
    Post a poem, picture, or song on this site.
    Memorial shirts to purchase for the families may be available soon.

Codes: E008 L002 B008
    FF. Kevin Shea Ladder 35, HazMat Ops, Currently Status: Retired on Disability and living in Baiting Hollow, NY (Long Island)

LADDER 002 FDNY

LADDER 2 FDNY "PRAY FOR THEM"

Battalion 8

Patch Battalion 8

Engine 8 FDNY

Patch Engine 8

ENGINE 8 LADDER 2 BATTALION 8

SNOOPY FDNY

NYC Firehouses Commemorate Plaques

NYC Firehouses Commemorate Plaques
    "This Heroism Will Live Forever"

LON SLEPICKA
    Firehouse.com News

FDNY LADDER 2/ENGINE 8 -- Firehouses across the city of New York were filled with family, friends, retired members, and anyone with a connection to the house following the FDNY Memorial Service, Saturday. One more ceremony was to be held as in the case of Ladder 2, Engine 8 at 165 East 51st in Manhattan.

The firefighters of this house had spent countless hours creating and building, just inside the bay doors, a memorial to their 10 brothers who lost their lives September 11 at the World Trade Center.

FDNY created brass plaques for each firehouse who lost members. But these men took it a step further by adding photo portraits and stained glass to a memorial that stood over eight feet high. Written into the glass was, "In The Arms Of Angles," "Midtowns Eastside Heroes" and "We Will Never Forget."

It was Captain Mark Munelly who while fighting back tears said, "I hope you are as touched in viewing this memorial as we were in building it."

It was an afternoon of tears and joy for family members who had already attended the huge service earlier at Madison Square Garden. The firehouse kitchen served out the food, and friends and family hugged each other. Admirers stared at the medals presented to the family of Ladder 2's George DiPasqale.

Members of the families of Chief Tom D'Angelis, Captain Fred Ill, Firefighters Mike Clark, George DiPasquale, Dennis Germain, Dan Harlin, Tom McCann, Carl Molinaro, Dennis Mulligan and Rob Parro each placed a rose in the urn on the base of the memorial of polished wood.

In describing the firehouse, Munnelly said they missed the personalities, the substance the support and the friendship. He said but mostly they missed the laughs. But then he said, "This firehouse isn't just about heroes. Its about people, personalities and relationships." That was evident in watching the people all around.

http://www.firehouse.com/lodd/2002se...dny/1012b.html

Firehouse memorial honors 10 heroes

Firehouse memorial honors 10 heroes

By ALICE McQUILLAN
    DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Made with granite, stained glass and love, a memorial to 10 firefighters from Engine 8/Ladder 2 who died in the terrorist attack now fills their midtown firehouse.

"I hope you are as touched in viewing this memorial as we were in building it," said Fire Capt. Mark Munnelly, who unveiled it over the weekend.

Relatives of the 10 men broke into applause seeing the 9-foot-high memorial and then wiped away tears as they placed single red roses upon it.

This scene was repeated in many of the city's 75 firehouses during the FDNY's weekend dedicated to its fallen.

Family members ran their hands over the 10 smiling faces of their men arranged on polished gray granite around a stained glass angel.

"It was made with love" said Joan Molinaro, mother of the late Carl Molinaro, 32, of Ladder 2.

Inspired by fallen buddy

Molinaro was the inspiration for his work buddy and fellow carpenter, Firefighter David Offitto of Engine 8, during construction of the memorial.

"As we were making this, I wanted it not to be just great but perfect, the way Carl would have wanted it," said Offitto, 34.

Offitto and Molinaro were in the same 1998 rookie class, worked together and permanently joined Engine 8/Ladder 2 on E. 51st St. two months before the terrorist attack.

Munnelly, 38, has worked there since 1994 and had to choke back tears and take deep breaths as he named his 10 dead friends, starting with the firehouse's former captain, Fred Ill Jr., 49.

"Capt. Fred Ill, I wish he was doing this, so I wouldn't have to," Munnelly said.

Hug for mother

Ill's son and namesake, a 23-year-old Bronx firefighter, hugged his mother, Mary Ill, after she read off the names of the 10 on the memorial.

Then to end the ceremony, Ill's son accepted a Vietnam-era flag from six members of his father's Army Reserve unit and carried it to the memorial. The flag had flown at half-staff outside the firehouse since the terrorist attack.

Ill, who works with Ladder 58 in the Bronx, said he'll always be drawn to his father's Manhattan firehouse.

"They keep me as part of this house," Ill said. "I grew up here and they see my father in me. They are my rock."

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/stor...4p-25489c.html

Firefighter Fred Ill 3rd and sister, Jane Ill, at memorial to their father, Capt. Fred Ill Jr., and nine others from E. 51st St. firehouse killed 9/11.